Events for the SATUK 2019/2020 General Elections
Thursday, January 24, 2019
NOTE: All deadlines MUST BE OBSERVED and no action after the deadline shall be considered.
- All interested aspirants are asked to obtain nomination papers by filling the online forms, printing and submitting to various offices as indicated on the nomination forms. The online forms should be accessed through the student portal (http://portal.tukenya.ac.ke).(downloadable from Wednesday, 23rd January, 2019)
- Returning of all duly completed nomination forms to the Chairman, SATUK 2019/2020 Electoral Board’s offices situated in Block D Room 2 on or before 29th January, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
- Vetting of aspirants by Electoral Board shall commence on Tuesday, 29th January, 2019 and names of cleared/successful aspirants shall be pinned on the notice boards by 4th February, 2019.
- Congress to be dissolved by the Chairman/Speaker on 31st January, 2019 (two weeks before elections)
- 5th February, 2019 10:00 a,m. Electoral Board conducts seminar with cleared candidates.
- Campaigns begin on 5th February, 2019 and end on 12th February, 2019. Campaigns are only allowed during the day at the Main Campus - Red Square not at the Administration Block or out of the Campus premises.
- Dates and Time of Voting:
- Wednesday, 13th February, 2019 from 6:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. election of delegates in the respective Departments.
- Congress Elections: Shall take place in respective schools on 14th February, 2019 from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Council elections shall take place on 14th February, 2019 from 1:00pm
- Subject to the Universities (Amendment) Act, 2016, The Students’ Council shall consist of:
- Chairperson and Deputy Chairperson as Running Mate
- Secretary General
- Finance Secretary
- Academic Secretary
- Sports, Entertainment & Culture Secretary
- Gender and Social Welfare Secretary
- For purposes of conducting the election of the members of the Student Council, the students' association shall constitute itself into Electoral Colleges based on academic departments.
- Each Electoral College constituted shall elect three representatives from amongst persons who are not candidates vying for any position, and of whom not more than two-thirds shall be of the same gender.
- Election of Hostel Representatives shall take place in the respective hostels on Thursday, 14th February, 2019 from 6:00am to 11:00 am.
- Candidates agents – One (1) agent per candidate per polling station and whose name must be submitted in Form II to the Chairman, SATUK 2019/2020 Electoral Board’s office in Block D Room 2 by 8th February, 2019 for accreditation.
- The Final election results shall be announced in public by the Returning Officer
- The newly elected officials shall be sworn in by the University Secretary and presided over by the Vice Chancellor in the Main Hall on Friday 15th February, 2019 before 3:00pm.
- Voters: All bona fide members i.e. students who are fully paid up members of the union and hold an original University Identity Card.
- Mode of voting: Secret ballot.
- Voter Identification shall be through a valid student’s ID. Voters will be checked in online by the Presiding Officer using the university system.
- Counting of votes will commence immediately the voting is completed at 3.00 pm.
- Declaration of results shall be done at the polling station immediately the vote counting is completed.
Chairman, SATUK 2019/2020 Electoral Board